Translate

Tuesday 16 April 2013

Elysium - Trailer Review

Although the trailer was released a few days ago, I thought that it was worth doing a review on because of the scale and sheer anticipation I have for this film. Plus, I have only just started blogging so I feel the need to discuss this trailer.
Where do I start. Honestly. This very trailer is one of many reasons why I am so passionate and involved with the film industry. Although, I can't let my anticipation get ahead of me for this film as it could lead to future disappointment, the trailer has undeniably increased my excitement for Neill Blomkamp's next outing.

In 2009, Neill Blomkamp was introduced onto the scene with his gritty and original Sci-Fi, Action film 'District 9'. Right off the bat, I can safely say that from the best of my knowledge, this was my favorite film of that year. It completely blew me away from start to finish and for a director's first piece of film making it was a sight to behold. It provided me with one of the most enjoyable and greatest cinema experiences to date, being blown away with the breathtaking special effects and unique directorial approach to such an original concept.

Present day. We have the trailer for the 2013 Sci-Fi, Action film 'Elysium'. Once again, written and directed by Neill Blomkamp but this time featuring such A-Listers as Matt Damon and Jodie Foster. Now, the first impressions that I received from the trailer was certainly being mesmorised by the precise cinematography used. Everything looked like it was nailed to a tee from top to bottom, as shot after shot just drew my attention closer and closer to the screen. The world that the special effects team have created looks beyond belief and not only matches, but surpasses the effects used in his previous film (Expected due to the higher budget).


What we can clearly grasp from the story at this point, is that overpopulation has struck either several decades or centuries ago and has left the planet in complete and utter turmoil. Anyone who is anyone has deserted the wasteland and parted to a new 'upgraded' version of living on a specifically built space station. The premise of the film will focus on Matt Damon taking on a mission to bring equality between the different civilizations once and for all.

From what I can gather, everything that worked so well in District 9 for Blomkamp has been stepped up a notch to try and provided the most grittiest and realistic approach to a post-apocalyptic future film. The director of photography to me personally seems like they will play an influential role in the tone and general feel of the film. Just from the trailer, you gain a sense of what life could be like living on these outrageously discrete ways of living.

There are some certainly interesting aspects that I picked up on including technological advances that have been implemented. The most obvious one for me is the machine in which a woman climbs into, located in her home, detecting cancer cells and most likely kills them if there are any traces. This is something I've certainly not come across before and I love when a film maker is willing to go that extra mile to be original and introduce their own interpretation of  what a future hundreds of years from now, could well and truly look like.

Another aspect that I feel I've depicted from the trailer is that it will most likely be suited towards a more Action-Packed fan base. The synopsis of the film initially indicated this before getting any forms of images or videos released but now from the trailer I think it is safe to say this is the case. I hope that Neill Blomkamp can find that perfect balance between Action and Sci-Fi which made District 9 such a memorable piece of film making.

I for one, simply can't wait for this summer block buster and I have a very strong feeling that I am not the only person with this particular excitement.

Here is the official trailer for Elysium:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNhdDDTY6Lk

2 comments:

  1. Its not an invasion or an attack that has turned the world that way. Its simply overpopulation and an ever increasing wealth discrepancy coupled with dwindling resources on earth that has led to the earth being like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment and noticing that, corrected the mistake!

    ReplyDelete