Translate

Wednesday 17 April 2013

Man of Steel - Trailer Review

From the moment we got a first look at Man of Steel in the teaser trailer some months ago, I felt that the  trailer released just months before the film premiers would be the make or break for me. I think it is safe to say that like many others, I am still washing the horrible taste that Superman Returns left in my mouth all those years ago. This is why I was somewhat skeptical with the 2013 reboot of the classic superhero.

After watching the new official trailer, I can safely say that it has convinced me this new film is heading in the right direction. From start to finish I instantly got that the collaboration between director Zack Snyder and producer Christopher Nolan has sparked a fuse that will ultimately revitialise the franchise and succeed in areas that the Bryan Singer movie personally failed.

The tone of the trailer doesn't feel as dark and depressing as the earlier teaser trailers that we were shown mid last year and if I believe correctly, another earlier this year. Although, Snyder's directorial approach is present, it doesn't feel as forced as I felt it was in his more recent films (Sucker Punch, that's aimed at you). I instantly got that sense of being a child once again while watching this trailer, it felt that this has captured elements of the story and character that has made it so popular in modern times.

One of the aspects that definitely interests me about this film is the scenes that will take place on Krypton. These will most likely be featured throughout the film, broken up into segments as opposed to opening with the entire sequence at the beginning of the film. There is some fine imagery used in these particular shots, everything from the framing to the lighting looks immaculate and certainly fits the tone that this sequence should and will have within the film.

For me, I believe Christopher Nolan's huge input into this film was always imminent and I think it is clear that this is the case from this trailer. I have enjoyed many of Zack Snyder's films in the past, but where he seems to fall short in some of his projects is focusing too much on the visual side of the film and letting aspects of the story fall short. Don't get me wrong, it is undeniable that Zack Snyder's films are stunning to look at, but this can sometimes take away key elements of what make a film work. This is where Christopher Nolan will have had his major input, making sure that David S. Goyer's screenplay is perfectly executed and can more than match the look and feel that Zack Snyder will implement.

Something that is still yet to convince me fully are the shots of Superman flying through the air that we have seen in the numerous trailers released. Something about these haven't set right with me, it maybe Snyder's immense passion for green screen but of course there is no practical way of making Superman fly. It could just be something that I am yet to be amazed by, this may just be something that the trailers haven't necessarily nailed perfectly yet and the actual effects that we get in the film will far outmatch the ones we've seen.

One last thing to mention, the segment of the trailer that completely sold the film for me was the very last scene we see. It is Lois Lane, played by Amy Adams and Clark Kent sitting in a police interrogation room. The dialogue that is thrown between both characters, referring to the 'S' on Superman's chest marked a strong resemblance to the comedic, lighter tone that The Avengers took on a comic book movie last year. Of course, this isn't the only comic book film to do so, but it certainly presented in the most striking and well achieved fashion. My anticipation for the film was mediocre, and although I was slightly pondering the potential failure this film could have, I believe any doubts or concerns I previously had have been smoothed out. A damn good trailer.

Here is the new trailer for Man of Steel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAVuKPFKrNo

No comments:

Post a Comment