Translate

Saturday 1 June 2013

Closed Circuit - Trailer Review

The trailer for this film gave me the first segment of knowledge about its existence, as before that I have never even heard of it. I must say though that it compelled me enough to write a review for it because I got the vibe that this could be quite an interesting film.

Starting off with the plot, although not entirely unique it does have elements that I can see shining through once I actually watched the film. I got that from the trailer, it will definitely be more innovative than people might give credit to it for. The fact that all of the cameras located close to the crime scene are going to play a pivotal role in determining what exactly happened, who caused it etc is something that interests me. Considering that found footage films are becoming ever increasingly popular nowadays, they seem to have incorporated that in a different sense and used it in a way that it actually serves a purpose to the plot of the film; not just a through away gimmick. As for the general plot, I immediately got a feeling that this could have been heavily influenced by the 7/7 bombings in London. In terms of the general incident that is, when watching the footage that we get via these cameras it was reminiscent of this event. Especially in the sense that it is a terrorist at the helm of the trial being accused for committing the act; it gives me a strong sense that it could well take aspects of this event which I am all for seeing something similar to that whole story playing out on screen.


I would say aside from the general narrative of the film, the ensemble cast was a huge draw for suddenly anticipating this film's release after seeing the trailer. You have big names in there such as Eric Bana, Rebecca Hall and Jim Broadbent as well as lesser known actors but still extremely talented ones including Ciaran Hinds and Riz Ahmed. I believe that the casting director has achieved a wonderful array of diverse talent which will undoubtedly shine in what I expect will be a gripping and entertaining thriller. Having Eric Bana lead the film is a wise choice and one that I am certainly all for. I have a strong sense that his character and performance will be similar to that in Spielberg's Munich which is one of my personal favourites of his. He will be able to draw real emotion and inject life into this protagonist, offering a potentially staggering performance.

The other factor that as soon as I read up on the film and discovered it, immediately sold me was John Crowley directing. For those of you possibly unfamiliar with his work, he directed a film called "Boy A" starring Andrew Garfield and it was a great piece of filmmaking. Rivoting, well crafted and underrated in my opinion, that film never seems to gain the praise and recognition it well and truly deserves. With Crowley at the helm for Closed Circuit, I have complete faith that he can break into the industry once and for all. I believe his style and approach could be perfect for this type of film and I'm certainly interested to see his take on it that's for sure. Even if he doesn't pull it off, I will admire him for trying and all of the signs so far are indicating that he will have immaculately stamped his mark onto the industry yet again with another intriguing and layered film.

I also get the feeling that there will be more than meets the eye with this movie. Something about how the trailer was put together and the general storyline that it's centering on gives me a feeling that we are in for a surprise. I of course could be completely wrong, and despite it potentially being good, will be what everybody is expecting it to be. I'm fine with that but something just tells me that Steven Knight who previously worked on such films as Eastern Promises and Dirty Pretty Things will want to inject something mind blowing into the screenplay and while not getting my hopes up for a potential twist or turn; I'll be keeping my eyes wildly open.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Closed-Circuit-First-Trailer-Exudes-Mysterious-Tense-Terrorism-Fueled-Excitement-37845.html

No comments:

Post a Comment