Translate

Sunday 2 June 2013

Green Lantern Screenwriter Working On Blade Runner 2

What a disastrous combination this could turn out to be. A couple of days ago when the news first leaked, I couldn't quite believe it. I wish I had been able to write a blog entry about it then but I have been busy and this has limited my opportunities to do so. Eventually I have gotten round to doing so and can finally vent my concerns about this piece of news.

First off, let me just get out of the way that this news will have hit plenty more people harder than it did with myself. Blade Runner is a solid film, I appreciate it in many ways and would definitely consider it as a ground breaking film don't get me wrong. I just wouldn't categorize myself as a particular fan boy of it and in no way do I love it or class it as one of my favourite movies. Despite all this, I'm really struggling to find a snippet of information that is positive from this article.

Let's start off with the sheer fact that a Blade Runner 2 is happening. I understand there will be a clear divide between the people who want it/believe it could work and the people who don't want it/don't think it will work. I am on the side of not wanting it to be made. Do I believe it could work? Of course I do, with the correct writer/director combination many concepts or ideas can be made into a great film. Do I think it should be made? Definitely not. One of the great things about Blade Runner in my opinion was that it was so conclusive. It had a solid structure and plot in which every little piece of information was more or less tied up before the film ended. This meant that it works magnificently on its own and doesn't warrant a sequel in any way shape or form. Could this be Ridley Scott just wanting to expand on previous films that he has created? It could well be. Last year we got Prometheus which was a prequel to Alien which meant that he was revisiting a previous project he had worked on.

Now don't get me wrong, this isn't a necessarily bad idea for Ridley to make because for the most part I actually really enjoyed Prometheus. Was it a great film? No, it had some huge flaws and downfalls that stopped it from achieving that status but it was an interesting idea that made for some intriguing storytelling and visuals. My main gripe is that Blade Runner does not need a sequel in any way shape or form. I have no clue whether he is going to expand on the first installment and have it be a continuation of those events and possibly the repercussions caused by Deckard or whether it will be an entirely new protagonist and narrative that we follow.

There could be plenty of arguments that consist of saying this is a perfect time for a sequel to be made. A point could be that so much time has passed that it has given an extended period of time to come up with a great idea for a sequel that may not have been imaginable back in the 80's or 90's. This relates to the technology available in the present day making for some stunning visuals and amazing special effects that could well expand the possibilities for the direction that the new film can take.

Which takes me to the problem that I think the majority of Blade Runner fans and film goers in general will have, that Michael Green, one of five writers on the terrible Green Lantern film has been drafted in to write. I could probably get over the fact that this film is happening and show some faith in the project had there only be the news of Ridley Scott returning and no other names attached to the film as of yet. Now with Green's name mentioned for the person writing the screenplay, I am just baffled as to why this is the choice that has been made. Forget the awful job done on Green Lantern by him, what other piece of commemorative work has he produced? I an unfamiliar with his work apart from this film but after some searching I've seen that he has written for shows such as Smallville and The River. I am confused as to how that stands out as someone who should be writing the next Blade Runner installment as it is clearly a weak CV that he possesses so far. You could argue that the original writers were inexperienced when they took charge of Blade Runner back in 1982 but there was nowhere near as much pressure and expectations riding on their shoulders as Green will have on his now. Can he make the transition from super heroes to sci fi? It is a more complex change that he will need to make and one that he may possibly not be prepared for.

Maybe I am being considerably harsh to diminish Green's ability to produce a solid screenplay for the film but based on his track record, I'm very unmeasured at this moment in time. Who knows, maybe some more news will be released and this could bring my expectations and hopes up but only time will tell. If this is the last we hear about Green's involvement and we have to wait for the film's release to judge his work, so be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment