Translate

Saturday 18 May 2013

Europa Report - Trailer Review

I'm extremely excited to finally get a look at Europa Report and be able to voice my opinions of the film so far as it is certainly one of my most anticipated films of the year. Now the film centres on a group of astronauts who are sent on a mission to Jupiter's fourth moon for reasons yet unknown. Now it is pretty much a simple plot right there but what increasingly looked me to Europa Report was the fact that it seemed as it was returning to Sci-Fi's original roots. This isn't to say that I don't enjoy many Sci-Fi films nowadays but I think it's a real breath of fresh air if it is returning to the approach that classic films within the genre took.

Starting off with my opinion on the trailer as a whole. Now I definitely didn't hate it but I had some problems with it that stopped me from increasing my anticipation as much as I wanted it to. One of these was that towards the end, it seemed to take a turn and have a horror twist to it. I understand that Sci-Fi films will have some element of this because it is one of the conventions that the characters will cross paths with some sort of disturbance such as aliens etc it may have just been the way that the trailer presented it, but immediately I couldn't shrug off the thought of it going down an Apollo 18 route. I have never seen that film so I am not saying that this is a bad thing, but it is something I am seemingly not interested in seeing. I have believe though that this is probably just the way that the trailer has been put together and it will not take this particular direction.

Another reason was that it felt a little too generic. One of the attractions of this film to me was that not only was it returning to classic Sci-Fi films, but it seemed like it was invigorating new life into the genre. Not to say that it is going to be generic, but that was a feeling I was left with while watching the trailer. I am getting the real sense that this trailer isn't going to do justice for this film whatsoever, because I think it can clearly be said that it is marketing it as something that it most likely isn't going to be. This is to probably sell the film to a wider audience considering that it is an indie picture and has purposely been done to gain more money when it's released. They could have well shot themselves in the foot though because some people could easily be put off with the supposed direction it is taking and this will hinder chances it has to make a fair amount of money.

Something that geared me up and increased my anticipation though was the opening of the trailer. Straight from the off, there was something about the part when the launch of the spacecraft is being reported on the news and one of the spokespeople is speaking over these visuals. It was so simplistic yet done in a way which really evoked memories of those classic Sci-Fi films like Apollo 13, that immediately got me into the mindset that I will enjoy this film without a shadow of a doubt.

The visuals were another element that stood out to me and was something that I was definitely expecting to be great, with the technology that is available as well as the genre that the film was categorized to. The colours that were used were exquisitely bright and were undoubtedly eye-catching; the film really feels as if it is going to be visually stunning and just amazing from that aspect alone if not any others. The effects that can be seen as of yet look great too. Of course, with the resources that are available to date, audiences have come to expect this but just seeing some of the creations brought to life is still satisfying nonetheless.

I am also getting the strong feeling that it is going to offer almost a documentation of these events and the mission being carried out. Certainly in some areas of the film we will get this, but I think parts of the trailer suggest that this could be central to how the whole mission will be presented to us. Various shots of head cam views, what seems to be cameras that have been set up with the space craft as well as handheld shots to try and give a POV perspective are certainly something that I believe will work well. It is helping to add to that grounded vision that is trying to be achieved and what better way to do this to try and present the events that these people are going through on the spacecraft than offering viewers a documentary style to see them unfold.

Arguably the biggest factor that was driving me towards wanting to see the movie was the grounded/realistic take that it was supposedly making. Early reviews have come in and critics are hailing it for the approach that it has taken which offers viewers the experience that this indeed could happen and if it was to, this is how events that are similar would play out. Even from a segment of the plot, the fact that they believe lifeforms could be found under the ice of the moon is similar to a theory that many scientists have. I certainly got that sense from this trailer, only adding my excitement for what I believe is going to be a more than satisfying film.

Overall, this trailer hasn't sold me more to watch the film but I believe on what I already have heard and seen, I was already invested in giving my time to watch the film. I do believe it will be more based on what I have expected before seeing the trailer and not fall to the demise of something that is much more generic and will stop this film from being as good as it possibly can. I don't think this was a terrible trailer by any means, it just didn't seem to accurately portray what I was expecting from the film and hopefully watching the movie will prove me wrong. Don't get me wrong though, there was some elements that have grabbed my attention and added to my excitement and now I just can't wait to finally be able to see it in around 6 weeks time.

Here is the trailer for Europa Report:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhdRYk1Y8VA

No comments:

Post a Comment