Translate

Thursday 23 May 2013

This Week's Biggest Film News - 19th May+


Dan Aykroyd reveals 'Ghostbusters III' details

This news is one that comes as a massive disappointment to me, and I'm sure many others too; although it is an expected one. In more recent years, there has been huge speculation about a third Ghostbusters film being made but this news has spanned ever since the second film came out. Now I am a huge fan of the original. I grew up in the early 90's so I missed out by a good 10 years of its release but this didn't stop me from growing up on the films. The second, I didn't despise like many do but I also didn't like it anywhere near as much as its predecessor. It had its ups and downs but I'd say it still remains an enjoyable film.

As for Ghostbusters III, I'm not so keen on the idea. I've had many discussions and debates with friends etc about this topic and personally I've never really been for it. I believe too much time has passed since the second film and it was always going to be a gamble for a studio to take on considering that the second wasn't a box office success. One of the biggest factors that made me think that both this wasn't going to ever be made and that it shouldn't be made was Bill Murray not wanting to be included. If ever there was a piece of evidence for a sequel to not be made, that is it right there. He was a major reason why I loved the first so much and why I still to this day enjoy watching the second. Not having such a pivotal character in a third film just amazes me that this is actually going into production.

Now my thoughts on the plot. I had somewhat of a vibe that this was how they were going to approach this sequel. It sounds like a completely ridiculous and paper thin plot that has been half-heartedly put together to just try and revitialise this significantly faded franchise. Taking this route just seems like such a cop out for something that was so highly regarded just over 20 years ago. Aykroyd is of course pushing this project through as will be Ramis due to their lack of work over the past decade or so. Their anticipation and lust to create a new addition to the franchise, although the script has been in development for many years, could also be their downfall. I think the time has well and truly passed and that another film now will only tarnish the reputation of the others and the franchise as a whole.

Possibly Men In Black III's success has pushed Aykroyd into gear and has finally sped up his writing process to try and push another film out more sooner than planned as not long ago he wasn't anywhere near finishing penning the script. Although I have been very strict with this, it is because these films hold a special place in my heart. I don't want them just adding a new film for the sake of it, especially when there is so much room to expand on and many more directions that they could in fact take which would make for an enjoyable sequel. Overall, I am open to the idea of a sequel and will certainly watch it but I don't hold much hope for it being remotely good, let alone a touch on the original films.

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/dan-aykroyd-reveals-ghostbusters-3-plot-details

Long Walk to Freedom Poster

Seeing this picture was the first segment of news or talk about this film that I have come across, and what I'm seeing/hearing is good news. Idris Elba as Nelson Mandela is certainly an interesting choice, which many can agree on even if they don't necessarily believe he fits the part well. My initial reaction was most likely similar to many which was something along the lines of "WHAT?!". But after carefully comparing Elba from the poster and the younger Nelson Mandela, the choice does become much more apparent. It's undeniable that Idris Elba has some great acting credentials and I believe he will in fact have it in his locker to pull the performance metaphorically out of the bag.

My thoughts on the poster itself, the piece of writing which is a quote from Mandela himself was actually very moving I felt. It's definitely one that gives some insight into the focuses of the film and which aspects of Mandela's life will feature. The quote is very powerful and will more than accurately represent the ideologies and messages that this film will try its utmost best to clearly portray. A great use of colours which give a sense of the tone that the film could be going for and I believe the way it is heading at this moment in time is in a positive manner.

The inclusion of Naomie Harris is also a strong, wise choice from the casting department. She was one of many things that I thoroughly enjoyed in Skyfall and which made it such a great summer film last year. As well as her role in the 007 film, her strongest and most memorable performance for me was in Danny Boyle's '28 Days Later'. Such a solid all round film and her acting only strengthened my passion for that movie. On top of this to make things ever more positive, William Nicholson will be writing the screenplay. He has scripted such films as Gladiator which is an amazing film as well as the more recent 'Les Miserables'. Although I've not seen the film and have heard mixed things about, I've only heard him receive great responses to his work for it. All of this news makes me eagerly anticipating some form of trailer or footage now to give me a well and truly accurate picture of my response to whether I will watch the film or not but at this moment in time, I certainly will be.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=37598

Jon Vitti to write Angry Birds

Writer of both The Simpsons and The Office is to write the upcoming Angry Birds feature length film which is supposedly hitting screens in 2016. Now when I first heard this news I was extremely against the idea and not that it would necessarily affect me if it was to be made, but it just sounded like such a ridiculous film to be producing. There are certain concepts and ideas that work perfectly well for video games and other outlet mediums but Angry Birds is most definitely one that never struck me as being adapted into a film. These adaptations have never proved successful when there was certainly room for a perfectly good film so the Angry Birds idea has not sat well with me, like it hasn't with others. Not only this, but the fact that Angry Birds is so popular now, doesn't mean that it will be in a few years time. After all of the hype and excitement for the games has died down, its huge fan base will decrease rapidly and the market for this film will be very small and unique I expect.

As for this particular update on the project, it is somewhat reassuring news. Jon Vitti has worked on The Simpsons and The Office which tells me that although a family approach will be taken, it could be going for a Toy Story type of humour where there are inclusions of jokes for different age groups. This is a formula that is bound to be successful if executed properly but I think it is more suited in a film such as Toy Story rather than something that I feel is directly going to be associated and aimed towards children like Angry Birds will be. For the time being, we can only speculate to accumulate but I for one am slightly more positive about the project now knowing that someone with expertise and a good sense of humour is in control of the screenplay.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=37580

1 comment:

  1. Ghostbusters II was a financial disappointment? I don't think so. $37 million budget, $112 million domestic.

    ReplyDelete