Translate

Saturday 18 May 2013

My Top 10 Most Anticipated Films of 2013

This is yet again just another fun blog entry that I am going to post about the top 10 films that I am most looking forward to this year. As well as naming them, I will tell you all about why these films have made my list on being the movies I am looking forward to seeing the most.

10) This is the End

Now from what I've seen of this film so far from the trailers and footage that we've been given, I believe it has the potential to be hilarious. It is somewhat of an original concept and can't really be categorized into a generic comedy film in that sense. That is probably one of the biggest factors that makes a comedy film, if it is original then the writers have so much more ground available to be covered and can take the film in all sorts of different directions without being a rehash. This is the case for This is the End and with Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg collaborating once again, the key ingredients are right there. Plus, looking at the stars of the film, there is certainly enough in that department to satisfy the audience. Not to mention the amount of cameos that will be featured, in my eyes at this moment in time, it is certainly shaping up to what could be one of the funniest films of the year, if not the funniest.


9) Oldboy


One of the few modern remakes that I well and truly believe can be brilliant. Although yet again, it really does fall into the category that leaves people questioning why is this even being made. The Chan-Wook Park 2003 film more than stands on its own two feet and is deemed one of the best South Korean films ever, deservingly. It is the combination of both director and cast that gets me extremely excited for this film. Of course, Spike Lee is at the helm who I believe will be a perfect fit for the vision that the original film took and which will undoubtedly be implemented into this remake. Action scenes will be crafted well but there will be great character development as well as an emotional character arc that will invest us into caring for the characters involved.

As for the cast, Josh Brolin being the star seems like another fine choice being made for this remake. Brolin is a great actor and can more than carry a film even if it is not entirely good, which this remake certainly has the potential to fall victim to this. Put him alongside Elizabeth Olsen who is an amazing up and coming actress, as well as the ever great Samuel L Jackson and Sharlto Copley who is a phenomenal actor in my opinion; they are all of the credentials for a fine display of acting right there.

8) Monsters University


Although everybody is still eagerly anticipating the confirmation of a sequel to 'The Incredibles', I would say this is the fan favourite to get the sequel treatment, which I would include myself in that group. It is undeniable that Monsters Inc is not only one of Pixar's best films, but just a solid film in general. It had everything I could have wanted for a film and more. The animation was brilliant as usual, there was a unique and creative story pushing the project, the voice over work was incredible as well as great vision and a solid script. Now this year, we will be getting the prequel 'Monsters University'.

Despite having my doubts that this could indeed be a 'Cars 2' scenario, I believe it will not fall at the hands of the mistakes that film made. I was never a fan of the first Cars film in all honesty but I know for a fact I am not on my own when I say that Cars 2 was a massive disappointment. As for Monsters University, there is plenty of directions the film can take. The trailers give a great picture of how the film will play out and I am enjoying every little thing that I see. There are so many potential incorporations and hints to the premise of the first film that they could make and just the general narrative of gaining an insight into the lives of the characters before the events of the first film, is hugely interesting. Especially when we see that they clearly didn't always get along like we were lead to expect from the first film. Put this together with the witty, expanding humor that it seems will be a huge part of this film too and I honestly think that this film could be in my top ten favourites of the year quite easily.

7) Anchorman: The Legend Continues


Anchorman has always been one of my favourite comedies of all time, and has rightfully earned that place. It is almost a cult classic in its own right for the modern generation and back in 2004, set off an entirely brand new style of comedies to films. One that to this very day is imitated and used thoroughly, which Will Ferrell has actually made a career out of and is still continuing to do so! Now for Anchorman: The Legend Continues, my excitement is huge. Although as of yet, it is hard to form any strong opinion on how this film might be. We have not seen any footage from the film, only trailers that have consisted of the characters that we know and love sharing hilarious gags that have no relevance or meaning whatsoever.

The news such as actors returning, new people signing on and cameos confirmed, have all been positive as of yet. Big names such as Harrison Ford and Kristen Wiig as well as all the main gang returning have provided many reassuring elements. Top this with such new stars as James Marsden, Nicole Kidman, Liam Nesson and Jim Carrey and there is certainly enough in that department to put on a good show.

Adam McKay is also returning to direct which is another positive factor that increases my excitement for the film. It generally sounds like a lot of hard work and effort is being put into not only getting this production completed, but while it was only speculation mid last year, to even get it into production. Actors were willing to take pay cuts etc and this really made me believe that they had a general idea of how they wanted it to play out and a strong vision that could make a great film, as opposed to just making a sequel for the sake of it.

6) Europa Report


Now we are getting to the films that I honestly believe can be my most favourite of the year. Europa Report is a project that I have been following for some time and was off the back of my love for Sharlto Copley in District 9. Had it not been for that film, I will probably wouldn't have come across this one. Despite that, I can honestly say that this film looks amazing. Although I had some minor problems with the trailer that could actually lead to much bigger ones, I believe I will be misunderstood and watching the film will resolve these problems.

The general concept that Sebastian Cordero is going for is so simplistic yet intriguing that this is what makes it such a potentially breathtaking film. The visuals and especially the CGI that can be seen from the trailer, looks great as expected. I really got a strong sense that the film will be really good at immersing the audience into the environments being explored and the tension and other emotions the characters will go through will be more than conveyed on screen.

It honestly reminds me of the classic Sci-Fi films such as Alien that the tone and look that the film is going for is trying to match these classics and that is another thing that sparks up excitement for me. I love the simple concepts of just exploring space on a mission with a limited amount of resources, equipment and other life forms on that spacecraft. It has always been something that fascinates me and this could well and truly be the next film to hit the nail on the head in returning to Sci-Fi's roots since Duncan Jones' Moon.

5) Gravity


Now we're in to the top five, and another Sci-Fi film makes my list, this time in the form of Alfonso Cuaron's Gravity. So this will be Cuaron's first feature film since 2006's 'Children of Men'. Now that is one of the strongest reasons I am looking forward to this film as much as I am, Cuaron is a great director and Children of Men is one of my all time favourite films. It was just oozing creativity, passion and originality and I think it is undeniable that he has a knack for directing.

As for Gravity, the teaser trailer we got a couple of weeks ago I believe it was now, was definitely satisfying. I think I am pretty much sold on watching the film if I wasn't enough before. Can I interpret whether I believe it is going to be as brilliant as it could be? No. I didn't really get a strong sense of how this film is going to be play out entirely which is both good and bad in its own right. It isn't really giving much away which is vital for me in trailers but I don't think there was an awful lot to completely sell me and make me believe it will be as good as I think it can be.

Visually, again it looks beautiful and breathtaking just like its Sci-Fi counterpart 'Europa Report'. I'd say this film has much better use of CGI and that is quite apparent from the trailer, but is expected at the same time as Europa Report is an indie project and this film is on a much larger scale. What can be said though, is that I am excited to see George Clooney in a perculiar role for his career anyway. That was one of the more daunting but stronger pull ins that I got from the trailer and I honestly believe he has what it takes to step up to the plate and deliver a great performance in the film. I'm not as sure for Sandra Bullock on the other hand.

4) Man of Steel


It finally seems that we are going to get a satisfying, modern day Superman film. Definitely one of the biggest disappointments of the last 10 years in terms of filmmaking was 2006's Superman Returns. Everything about it was just sloppy and a poor judgment made by Bryan Singer, the approach that was taken did not feel genuine and interesting for me. It was bland and fell into such generic territory that it failed to grip me and have me invested at all. From everything that I've seen for this film, it looks the complete opposite. I get the real sense that Zack Snyder, Christopher Nolan and David S. Goyer have worked extremely closely on bringing a grounded and exciting new vibrancy to the character in order to present an interesting and satisfying film.

A more realistic approach to the character is certainly something that doesn't look out of place and if you are going for a much darker, serious tone then who better to bring at the helm than Zack Snyder. I believe he will have the necessary credentials to pull this one out of the bag and have what it takes to be his best film to date. He has been a little hit and miss for me over his years of directing but I think the steering and commanding role Nolan will have had will keep him in the right direction on doing what he does best which is handling the amazing visuals and keeping everything in order; while Goyer tightens up the story and allows a clear, strong narrative to flow throughout.

Not to mention, the sheer array of acting talent that is going to be on show. Henry Cavill seems like he fits the role of Clark Kent perfectly, who alongside Amy Adams will most likely form a significantly strong partnership and on screen chemistry which is of course vital for certain plot points as the franchise will progress. Then you have such actors as Russell Crowe, Michael Shannon (who looks and will probably be amazing), Kevin Costner and Laurence Fishburne to mention a few. All of the potential is right there for Man of Steel to be an amazing film.

3) Pacific Rim


This film completely says to me "summer blockbuster". This is what summer films should all be about, non-stop, mind-blowing action with extortionate amounts of CGI and monsters. It is monsters fighting robots, honestly what is there not to like about that?

Everything about this film tells me that it is going to be thoroughly enjoyable and that multiple viewing will be in order. Gulliermo Del Toro's largest film to date, and probably his most promising in my eyes. He has a great creative style and outlook for concepts, coming up with some unique ideas and more than executing them well. This seems to follow in the footsteps of his previous films and looks to offer a great cinematic experience.

The footage from the trailers looks exactly what I was expecting from the movie, nothing more or nothing less. This film will be a classic case of "it is what it says on the tin" it is going to be machines vs monsters. That is it. And if this doesn't appeal to you, I don't know what will. Of course there will be some elements of how the monsters came about, what their intentions are etc. But I think this will be explained in the first 10 minutes of the film, to give enough substance and back story to allow the 2 hours of CGI fighting and destruction to be somewhat meaningful.

As for the effects, the designs of both the machines and monsters both look spectacular. As I mentioned before, Del Toro is extremely creative in this department and I don't think we were expecting anything less than him to deliver on this front with his weird but yet wonderful work done with 'Pan's Labyrinth'. The action sequences look on a huge scale and will more than satisfy in IMAX 3D, because honestly, why would you go and see this is any other format?! Really?!

2) The World's End


The concluding film in the widely loved "Cornetto trilogy" from director Edgar Wright and stars Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. Both Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz still to this very day remain as not only two of my favourite comedies of all time, but my favourite films. Based on this, and topped off with all of the information, insight and looks at the film we've got, you can only imagine how much I'm looking forward to this film.

I believe it easily has the capability to be even better than its predecessors. Although it will have big shoes to fill, each film seems to have been better than the last. The three are extremely passionate about these projects that they make and can happily acknowledge that these are the films that invigorated successful careers for the three of them. This is why I am so assured that they can deliver with The World's End yet again and come up with a truly remarkable film.

As for the plot this time around, it has clearly taken huge inspiration from 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers' and implemented this as one of the main themes of the film. It certainly makes for an interesting end to the three films they've made and although it resembles some factors that Shaun of the Dead had, I have no probably if it can be compared in some instances to that film because I absolutely loved it.

1) Elysium


This has now been my most anticipated for film of 2013 as soon as I found out that it was going to be released in that year all of those years ago. I've followed Elysium ever since I had watched District 9, instantly fell in love with it and came across this film being put into production. I have every sense in my mind that this film will deliver on all fronts and be amazing as expected. It looks like it has taken some core elements that I enjoyed from District 9, incorporating it into a much larger scale film and a more action based one of that. It seems that in this respect, it has only increased on what District 9 did so well so in that sense it could well and truly even be better that Blomkamp's original feature film.

As for the cast that we have, Matt Damon in the lead role seems like a perfect fit from what I've seen. Based on the type of character he will be playing, as well as the story of the film, Damon will put in a great performance I expect. I think with this choice of casting alone without seeing any footage, it tells you right where the film's direction will go which is definitely a great choice indeed. Also, the additions of both Jodie Foster and Sharlto Copley are strong ones that only add to my anticipation for the film.

The world that Neill Blomkamp looks to have created is certainly one that is both visually stunning but interesting to say the least. The fact that Earth has become some sort of dumping, waste ground where the more common people are left to live while the richer beings are sent off to a more beautiful, higher class planet where a good standard of living will be provided is definitely something that intrigues me. I got the real sense that this can top Blomkamp's District 9 as it is looking to up the ante and provide much more depth and a larger scale world that will please both fans of his first feature film as well as your more average, cinema audience.

Honorable Mentions:

The Purge


While this film has more than enough evidence that it could indeed fall into the generic horror film category, I think there are definitely elements that say otherwise. The only other horror film I've seen this year is 'Mama' which is similar to this in the sense that both look as if they have elements of originality but unfortunately Mama went down the common route and lost my interest after that. This is what I am judging The Purge on and I feel that it could make the same mistakes that Mama did.

I was completely hooked on the film's trailer before I knew anything about it and then the horror element came into play and I was less interested then. I thought the concept of a one night a year scenario when crime is legal and no rules apply was genius, originality doesn't quite cover that idea. Not to mention that Ethan Hawke and Lena Headey are both starring which is more than enough acting talent to drive the film home and carry it in parts when there isn't much really happening.

American Hustle

Of course both a strong cast and great director are seemingly important of the appeal of a film and I think this one more than tops any I've seen this year. David O' Russell directing who has brought us films such as The Fighter and Silver Linings Playbook matched with an ensemble cast featuring Jennifer Lawrence, Bradley Cooper, Christian Bale, Amy Adams, Jeremy Renner, Robert De Niro, Allesandro Nivola and more!

While the story is somewhat of a less appealing factor, I think David O' Russell will have more than enough in his bank to drive it home and really sell the film to me when a trailer is released. The few set photos that we have gotten give a somewhat blurred idea of the film and so far so good in my opinion. The tone that I get so far as well O'Russell's previous work will coincide nicely with the narrative and the costumes which are the main thing we have seen as of yet look great.

Kick-Ass 2


2010's comic book film adaptation 'Kick-Ass' a breath of fresh air and a great surprise for me. I didn't really know what to expect before watching it but it probably one of my favourite films from that year, I thoroughly enjoyed it and still have just as much on repeat viewings. Now 3 years down the line, after much speculation that this was never going to happen, here we are around 2 months off the release of the eagerly anticipated sequel.

From what we have seen thus far, I had mixed feelings about the film. I didn't think the glimpse that we have got looked bad, but it didn't really strike me that much that I am dieing to see this, which is the reason it didn't make my top ten list. I have simply put it as a honorable mention because I loved the first film that much that I think it can follow that formula which worked so well and bring a satisfying sequel.

Baring in mind, this is going to be a lot more difficult this time round now as there is much higher expectations on the back of how good the first film was. As well as this, Matthew Vaughn is not returning and the chair has been given to Jeff Wadlow for the next installment. This was the reason that many felt we were never going to get a sequel as Vaughn was busy with X-Men: First Class and is now working on X-Men: Days of Future Past; seemingly blocking his schedule up and aborting him from directing this film. He has handpicked Jeff Wadlow though, which invigorates confidence that despite not seeing any of Wadlow's films, that he has enough talent and knowledge to produce a good quality sequel.

4 comments:

  1. Great list. I can't argue with it at all. Elysium as #1? Can't wait for it.

    And I hadn't heard much of Europa Report, but after seeing the trailer, consider me there. I can't wait to see that thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, appreciate it! Yeah should be amazing, if the trailers are certainly anything to go by. A lot of people have been saying that to me, glad I have been able to alert some people about it! Some early reviews have come in and they're sounding good. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have my doubts that the Oldboy remake can live up to the original

    Overall this is looking to be a really good year for sci-fi. Good sci-fi, not Michael Bay sci-fi

    ReplyDelete
  4. So do I, nonetheless I'm still anxious to see how it turns out as well as fairly confident it can be good. I agree, about time the genre was given a line up like this!

    ReplyDelete